Regional security dynamics of South Asia: Challenges ahead
Bandung: Journal of the Global South welcomes submissions to the thematic series on 'Regional security dynamics of South Asia: Challenges ahead'
The South Asian sub-region (synonymous to that of the Indian sub-continent) with India at the center and surrounded by Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka Myanmar and Maldives has been in the focus of world attention in recent years. The region has been characterised by the dynamic inter-play of security, economic and diplomatic factors reinforcing each other owing to the complex nature of territorial claims and religious extremist activities. This is evidenced by the competing political and strategic interests between the three nuclear weapon countries of the region viz: China, India and Pakistan. In fact, the region has witnessed three major wars between India and Pakistan and one between India and China besides several other border skirmishes on and off at various times including the ongoing India – China border row in Sikkim and hence convulsed in tensions and mutual mistrust and animosity leading to frequent threat of war or near war situations affecting regional security and stability. The U.S strategic tie-up with India, viewed by many as one aimed against China and conducting joint naval exercises with India in the Indian Ocean region coupled with the role played by Russia vis-à-vis China and India have gone to add a new dimension making security and stability even more entangled with extra-regional powers.
The aim of this thematic series is to shed light on the varied and complex factors that play a role in the regional security dynamics of South Asia.
Authors may focus on any issues related to the the broad theme of security in this region. Potential topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Theoretical issues - foreign policy, security and economic aspects
- Bilateral relations – India, China, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Nepal and Afghanistan – economic and security dimensions
- Defence armaments – modernization, acquisition and threat assessment
- Regional dynamics – role of regional and extra-regional actors and organizations
- Regional security issues and challenges
- Fisheries, livelihood and Security in the context of dwindling stocks of living resources from the ocean
- Prospects for peace and stability
Before submitting your manuscript, please ensure you have carefully read the submission guidelines for Bandung: Journal of the Global South. The complete manuscript should be submitted through the Bandung: Journal of the Global South submission system. To ensure that you submit to the correct thematic series please select the appropriate thematic series in the drop-down menu upon submission. In addition, indicate within your cover letter that you wish your manuscript to be considered as part of the thematic series on 'Regional security dynamics of South Asia: Challenges ahead'. All submissions will undergo rigorous peer review and accepted articles will be published within the journal as a collection.
Authors can submit their informal queries, proposed paper topic and an abstract of maximum 250 words to Dr. M. Venkataraman, the Guest Editor.
Deadline for submissions: 31 March 2018
Lead Guest Editor: Dr. M. Venkataraman, University of Madras, India
Submissions will also benefit from the usual advantages of open access publication:
- Rapid publication: Online submission, electronic peer review and production make the process of publishing your article simple and efficient
- High visibility and international readership in your field: Open access publication ensures high visibility and maximum exposure for your work - anyone with online access can read your article
- No space constraints: Publishing online means unlimited space for figures, extensive data and video footage
- Authors retain copyright, licensing the article under a Creative Commons license: articles can be freely redistributed and reused as long as the article is correctly attributed
For editorial enquiries please contact Parthiban.Gurusamy@springer.com.
Sign up for article alerts to keep updated on articles published in Bandung: Journal of the Global South - including articles published in this thematic series!
2017 Journal Metrics
55 days from submission to first decision
203 days from submission to acceptance
9 days from acceptance to publication
Social Media Impact
Benefit from our free funding service
- ISSN: 2198-3534